Policenauts - Forum
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » General Discussions » Chatter and Spam » Policenauts (The English patch has landed!)
Policenauts
KololoDate: Tuesday, 2009-08-25, 12:18 PM | Message # 1
Sprinkled Muffin
Group: Group Member
I've been waiting for this for sooo long. This is one of my favorite games of all time, and now that the English patch is out I feel an obsessive need to push the game on anyone who will listen.

It's a space drama that doesn't take itself too seriously, and is all about the story. Everything has a paragraph. That pack of cigarettes? Story. That girl's headband? Story. That plant over there? Story. Be prepared for a lot of text. Of course you're not obligated to examine everything (with some rare exclusions), but dang it, that's half the fun! The other half of the fun is groping titties and generally hitting on the ladies at inappropriate times. There's nothing like breaking up a semi-serious story with some animated boob-jigglin'.

Since I've mentioned the story so much I'll give it a quick outline. You play Jonathan Ingram, a Policenaut (an early form of space patrol) who's been in suspended animation for ~30 years after a malfunction in his suit. Technology and society have advanced without you, your wife has remarried, and you no longer know your place in the world. One day, your wife, who you haven't seen since being rescued from your cold sleep, comes to you with a request that you find her current husband. Then some crazy stuff happens, and your adventure begins! Woo hoo!

Seriously, this game has it all. It's intriguing in the beginning, gripping in the middle, and while the end takes it a bit too far, that's easily forgivable given the quality of the rest of it. (And the very last scene is pretty sweet.) It's also interspersed with genuinely funny bits throughout. Oh! And the art is nicely done. Oh oh oh! And there's some old-school arcade-style shooting bits, but they get a little difficult towards the end. Luckily, there's a super-cheaty auto-target included in the control scheme, so that becomes no problem even when you're bombarded with enemies.

Anyway, all you need to play it is an ISO + PS emulator, the ISO half of which will probably show up on torrent sites pre-patched any day now. In the meantime, the patch itself can be downloaded at http://policenauts.net/english/ and there's some emulation help in the forums.

tl;dr Play this game!

CatrionaDate: Tuesday, 2009-08-25, 9:46 PM | Message # 2
Resident Tentacle monster
Group: Administrators
Sounds darn fun... Do one carry handcuffs?

Sadly, thanks to stupid laws around my part of the world, I can't go around downloading stuff unless it is already made free by the company that made it sad

----"It's never too late for stalking"----

---"Straight? So is spaghetti until you heat it up"---

hotcakesDate: Tuesday, 2009-08-25, 11:12 PM | Message # 3
Seductive Perversion
It does sound good. smile

Better known as NightSwan.
To contact me: NightSwan :3
MSN: angelgabriel0@hotmail.com
Gmail: luna.solaris99@gmail.com

KololoDate: Wednesday, 2009-08-26, 3:27 AM | Message # 4
Sprinkled Muffin
Oooh, it is good! And about the illegal thing, see, that's where I beg to differ. It's no more illegal than... scanslating manga. stoop Just a good, humanitarian way of getting enjoyable stuff out of its language prison! Ho ho ho. The game is almost 15 years old and was only released in Japan. The chances of it getting a foreign audience by any other means than this is a solid 0%. So, really, I wouldn't worry about it too much. biggrin

To not enjoy it now that it's readily available would be criminal... space criminal. crying

CatrionaDate: Wednesday, 2009-08-26, 3:56 AM | Message # 5
Resident Tentacle monster
Oh my, is space criminal one step above regular criminal?

----"It's never too late for stalking"----

---"Straight? So is spaghetti until you heat it up"---

KololoDate: Wednesday, 2009-08-26, 5:03 AM | Message # 6
Sprinkled Muffin
At least. surprised

Forum » General Discussions » Chatter and Spam » Policenauts (The English patch has landed!)
Page 1 of 11
Search: